Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre's second floor is getting ready for a refresh! We are re-designing our popular Taiken historical photograph exhibit to be re-launched in 2022.
The new exhibit will include a map of Canada that marks the presence of Japanese Canadians before, during, and after the internment era all over Canada. We want to highlight the regional diversity of the Japanese Canadian experience.
We know the major sites like Powell Street and Steveston, but are looking to include as many Japanese Canadian communities from the pre-war and internment eras as possible, as well as sites with active Japanese Canadian communities today.
Please check our current Google Maps list and, if you know of a site that we've missed, fill out the form below to let us know.
Include a Google Maps link
To help us include the correct location of the site, you can include a link to it on Google Maps. (This step is optional)
Instructions if you would like to include a link:
1. Open a new browser window or tab.
2. In the other tab, go to maps.google.com.
3. In the top-left corner of the page, there is a search box. Type the name of your site in the search box.
3a. If the site doesn't pop up this way, try to find its location on Google Map by navigating to a nearby site and clicking on the approximate location of your site.
4. After you have successfully searched for your site or clicked on the approximate location, click the "Share" button on the left side of the page (see screenshot below).
5. Copy the link that pops up in the centre of the screen.
6. Paste the link in the form to the left.
7. If any of this isn't working for you, just leave the field blank and complete the rest of the form.