Book a digital "visit" to the Nikkei National Museum for your class! Tour exhibits interactively with a Nikkei National Museum facilitator via your video call platform of choice. Select one or more of the following 30-minute modules:
"Nikkei" exhibit digital tour
How many cultures can one person have? Nikkei people have Japanese ancestry, but live somewhere else in the world. Join us to explore some experiences of Nikkei Canadians, from the first immigrants from Japan in the 19th century, to their descendants and newer immigrants today. Examine historical objects that show community life that's both Japanese and Canadian, and see uniquely Japanese Canadian works of art.
"Broken Promises" exhibit digital tour
What promises does a government make to its citizens? In the 1940s, Japanese Canadians felt betrayed when their government forced them to leave their homes, and sold their homes and possessions without permission. Follow their stories through this turbulent period and learn how and why the Canadian government broke its promise to its Japanese Canadian citizens.
Our Elders video discussion
Hear Japanese Canadian elder Mary Kitagawa's story of being interned as a child in her own words. A Nikkei National Museum facilitator will screen a video interview and lead discussion via video or text chat features. This activity introduces students to Japanese Canadian internment on a personal level, and pairs well with exhibit tours.
- Programs are offered Tuesdays through Fridays (no availability on Mondays).
- Programs are hosted by you on your video call platform of choice. Must have screen-sharing capabilities.
- Each module is 30-45 minutes in duration. Modules can be scheduled up to 2 back-to-back, or on separate days.
- Cost is $75.00+tax ($78.75) per module, per class. 3 modules are $200.00+tax ($210.00) per class.
- We encourage eligible inner-city schools to apply for a Vancouver Heritage Foundation grant for help covering costs.
- Programs must be booked at least 2 weeks in advance.
- We require 2 weeks' notice for cancellations. For cancellations with less than two weeks notice, we require 50% of your invoice by the scheduled tour date.
- All cheques are payable to Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre.
- We may take photographs of your group's Taiken digital programs for use in internal communications (eg. with staff, board, NNMCC members, and funding agencies).