The NNMCC Auxiliary is a group of dedicated volunteers who support the Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre and its programs. Our Auxiliary group organizes and participates in special events like the annual Mochitsuki, Spring Bazaar, and Nikkei Garden Farmers Market. Not only that, but our Auxiliary is also a social group. While getting lots done as a volunteer, the group makes sure to have fun at the same time! Occasionally, our Auxiliary group has get-togethers such as during volunteer appreciation dinner.
The Auxiliary aims to share the Japanese Canadian traditions and pass them down to future generations in a relaxed and friendly environment. Currently, the Auxiliary has over 60 members.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Making traditional Japanese desserts like mochi and manju.
- Volunteering at one of our events doing sales, preparing food, directing foot traffic, and helping with setup and tear down.
- Event organizing like vendor communications, marketing, and supply sourcing.
- Preparing donated items to sell at our mini markets.
Main events Auxiliary participate in are:
- May – Spring Bazaar
- October – Fall Harvest Fair
- November – Apple Pie Fundraiser
- December – Mochitsuki
- December – Breakfast with Santa
The NNMCC Auxiliary welcomes new members! If you are interested in joining, email [email protected] Please indicate what kind of volunteering you are interested in doing in your message. The NNMCC Auxiliary is a great way to give back to the community!
If you have new or gently used Japanese items, the NNMCC Auxiliary would be happy to accept them to sell at future fundraisers. To make arrangements, please email [email protected].
Executive of the NNMCC Auxiliary:
Chair: Ruth Tsukishima
Past Chair: Yoshi Hashimoto
Secretary: Maureen Iwanaka
Treasurer: Craig Maruyama
Social Committee: Kaori Yano
Events Manager: Cheryl Honkawa